Saturday 21 September 2013

Bring on the colour, bring on the wool

We have been abruptly thrown into the depths of autumn. After our glorious summer I wasn't quite ready for it. But I quickly became resigned to the cooler temperatures and blustery rain showers by immersing myself in new autumn knitting projects - which for me means wool and colour. So bring it on, autumn weather, I'm ready for you!

During the summer I am drawn to more muted colours, especially khaki, but autumn and winter require deep intense shades. Like in this wool shawl I bought last year.

The colours positively pop

In a similar theme, I have started knitting Boxy by Joji Locatelli, using Isager tvinni and alpaca in an intense cobalt violet.


delicious, brilliant purple

Boxy is a pullover with a really wide body and narrow sleeves, knit on 3.5 needles. It is going to take forever to knit, but it will be worth it.


© Joji Locatelli

I've also picked up another Isager project I started during our long cold spring and set aside during our too-hot-for-wool summer. I'm modifying Marianne Isager's Summer in Tokyo pattern, knitting it in stripes instead of fair isle because my yarn colours did not contrast enough.


mixture of bright & warm reds

This pullover is knit on even smaller needles - 2.75mm - with a single strand of 3-ply Isager tvinni. But fortunately there isn't as much knitting involved - it is a cropped top with simple raglan 3-quarter length sleeves. Also, the yarn is a joy to work with and the colours a joy to behold. I've almost reached the arm holes, so it will probably be finished by the time really cold weather arrives.

But in the short term, it looks like we are due for some Indian summer weather, which will give me the opportunity to finish up my last linen top of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment