Wednesday 14 December 2011

All I want for Christmas...

...is knitting supplies!

You would think I have enough knitting books, paraphernalia and yarn by now, but there is always more to acquire.

Equipment

I still don't have that most essential pair of tools, an ball winder and swift. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get one for Christmas and the other for my birthday.

Loop carries a Royal Wool Winder - from Japan, so it must be good.


And a ball winder is not much use without a swift, or yarn skeiner. Here's a nice wooden umbrella swift available through amazon from the Little Knitting Company.


This equipment is really useful if you knit with a lot of lace, sock weight and/or hand-dyed yarn. This kind of yarn usually comes in a skein, so you have to wind it into a ball before you start knitting. It takes forever by hand, and in my house can only be done while the cat is asleep. We'll see how she reacts to the twirling equipment.

Books

There are only two knitting books on my list because I try not to buy too many knitting books (I end up hardly ever using them, and then I just feel guilty). But these two are essentials.

Vogue Knitting: Classic Patterns from the World's Most Celebrated Knitting Magazine
I don't even know what patterns are in this book because it doesn't seem to be catalogued on Ravelry (why??), but I'm still sure I want it. You can't go wrong with Vogue knitting patterns. Occassionally they'll do something perhaps a little bit too experimental, but at least they never look like all the other patterns out there. I am always knitting vogue patterns, so I'm sure there would something among the 80 patterns from 1982 to the present that I would like.


55 Christmas Balls to Knit: Colourful Festive Ornaments
I just learned about this book, from the most recent issue of Vogue Knitting, as it happens. I wish I had known about it earlier so I could have knit quick and easy Christmas ornaments for everyone instead of stressing myself out with jackets and doll families! The patterns are inspired by Norwegian designs and customs. I'm always in the mood for a little holiday-themed fair isle around this time of year, so I'll look forward to decorating my whole tree with red and white knit ornaments next year. And maybe I'll even find some time after Christmas to whip up a few for friends and family at home.

Needles

I already got a set of Addi clicks a few Christmases ago, so you would think I would be set for knitting needles, but in fact 10 sizes of circular needles with 3 cord lengths is just not sufficient. Addi clicks are great for knitting most garments, but they are no good for lace because the tips are not sharp enough. Also, I usually work on quite a few projects at the same time, so often need duplicate needle sizes. Hence I really could use a set of Lace Addi Click or KnitPro interchangeable needles. And some more DPNs wouldn't hurt, while we're at it.

Yarn

There is actually no yarn on my Christmas list, mainly because I hope to visit lots of knitting shops while I'm back in the States over Christmas. Namely: Threadbender in Grand Rapids, Purl Soho and Habu in New York, Fibre Space in Alexandria VA, and Looped Yarn Works in DC. And any others I can find.

And just in case you're wondering, I plan to pack an empty bag so I can bring back all my lovely knitting loot!

2 comments:

  1. Mikal, I bought my ball winder off of Ebay from a company called Bamboo Imports (I think). It was about $20US. I love having a swift and a ball winder since I buy so much yarn off the internet. I hope your Xmas wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did figure I would find better prices in the States... though I might need to save all my money for Habu yarn.

    ReplyDelete